Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I Spoke Too Soon... Extremists on the rampage... again

So much for my summer boredom. Yesterday I was complaining that I had too much time on my hands. Today my wife alerted me to current lobbying activity by extremist Cary Theil (pronounced teal like the color..) here in Florida. Unlike the Massachusetts effort to end greyhound racing, this time Theil and his housemate crazy Christine Dorchak who have used their grey2k causes as their personal piggy-bank to fund their lavish lifestyle are joining forces with the track owners, who want to nix live racing and focus on poke and slot machines.

One of Theil and Dorchak's largest donors is the Humane Society of the United States which cons old ladies out of their social security checks by making them think the HSUS actually runs animal shelters-- which is not true at all.

In Massachusetts, greyhound racing was strictly supervised. I visited three different kennels, all of which were spotless. The hounds were happy and healthy. When let out of their crates they were overjoyed to see their handlers and were eager to play with them. Abused hounds do not act like this. To improve the quality of racing greyhounds in Florida, bay all means... lobby the legislature to adopt the standards that Massachusetts had!

But to end racing altogether, will cause the breed as we know (and LOVE) it to become extinct. I have seen greyhounds bred for show-- and the temperament is so very different.

If the hounds are being abused-- by all means lets improve the regulations that govern their care. But to cave into the extremists is dangerous. They will NOT stop at greyhound racing. Don't believe me?? Look here. Its a photo of grey2k vice president Christine Dorchak protesting with PETA at the New England Aquarium. To save the whales? Free the dolphins? Nope. She wants them to stop serving fish and chips in the cafeteria.

The extremist animal rights activists have an agenda. I'm okay with that. We are ALL entitled to our viewpoint. Let us know up front that your ultimate goal is to have us all get rid of our companion animals, and to become total vegans.

OH-- sorry I forgot. The end justifies the means.

No comments: